Friday, July 31, 2009

The Lazy Blogger?

Well "lazy" may not actually be an appropriate description of myself over the past 2 weeks since I last blogged. Perhaps stuck in the Australian bush with no Internet or phone reception would be more apt. If you can't tell from the last sentence Lindsay and I were wwoofing again. It was still a great experience, but I suppose when your first taste of something is paradise the bar is set a little high. I will definitely get into more detail about our new wwoof place, but we did heaps more in the weeks leading up to it.
After departing Sandra's (where we were wwoofing) we headed off to the Gold Coast to meet Lauren (our friend from Florida who was traveling in Thailand). We met up with her in Surfers Paradise, to sum up Surfers Paradise lonely planet describes it as..."If Surfers Paradise were a celebrity it would be Paris Hilton" basically pretty flashy and trashy, but we still had a great time. We stayed in a hostel there but we booked into a two bedroom self contained apartment so we were pretty separate from the rest of the hostel. It was nice to be able to spread out and especially nice to cook some of our won meals. While in Surfers Lauren and I took a day trip to a koala sanctuary; Lindsay didn't join us because she was feeling a bit under the weather and Im sorry to say she really missed out. Lauren was dead set on holding a koala and having her picture taken with it so that was the first thing we did. The koalas were ADORABLE and I found them to be surprisingly soft. I didn't get to hold one because as a budget backpacker I just didn't feel the need to pay to cuddle a koala but I was happy just to give it a pat. The wildlife sanctuary also had a lot more than just koalas they had pretty much all your staple Australian wildlife. After the koalas we went on to feed the kangaroos. It was so much fun to get to walk around and pet the kangaroos and feed them, but these were the laziest animals you could possibly imagine. Most of them were just lounging in the sun and would barely lift their heads to eat out of your hand. While at the sanctuary we also saw an aboriginal dance show, honestly I was not impressed, but Lauren was quite amazed and I did enjoy the didgeridoo part of the performance. We also made it to the 5 pm lorikeet feeding. We weren't sure what this was and for a bit were considering not even going, but I am so glad we did and would say it was the highlight of the day. At the lorikeet feeding everyone got a metal plate that was basically filled with sugar water plus some minerals, and the birds love it, there were literally hundreds of lorikeets that flew in for the feeding. I think at one point I probably had 10 birds on me at one point. It was so cool, but there claws actually really hurt and Im sure you can imagine the amount of waste produced by that many birds so inevitably some of it ended up on my clothes and in my hair, but it was still worth it. That was pretty much the highlight of Surfers Paradise and after a week in the Gold Coast we were on our way up to Cairns to dive the Great Barrier Reef and go to the rainforest.
As a side note, we also so Bruno while in the Gold Coast, it was hilarious but very crude so be warned if you plan on seeing it.
Cheers and sorry for the delay,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment